Department of English

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Department of English

Welcome to The Department of English at BATNA University

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

A Guide For Creative Thinking

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:12 am by BHSoft

A Guide For Creative Thinking by Brian Tracy
Einstein once said, “Every child is born a genius.” But the reason why most people do not function at genius levels is because they are not aware of how creative and smart they really are.I call it the “Schwarzenegger effect.” No one would look at a person such as Arnold Schwarzenegger and think how lucky he is to have been born with such …

Africain Literature

Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:15 pm by Lily

Things Fall Apart is a 1959 English-language novel by Nigerian author Chinua Achebe. It is a staple book in schools throughout Africa and widely read and studied in English-speaking countries around the world. It is seen as the archetypal modern African novel in English, and one of the first African novels written in English to receive global critical acclaim. The title of the novel comes from [url=http://www.answers.com/topic/william-butler-yeats-3]

Algeria's Newspapers ...

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:11 pm by Lily

study study study study

http://www.algeria press.com/
http://www.algeria press.com/alkhabar.htm
http://www.algeria-press.com/elwatan.htm
http://www.algeria-press.com/echoroukonline.htm
http://www.algeria-press.com/elmoudjahid.htm
http://www.algeria-press.com/liberte.htm
http://www.algeria-press.com/horizons.htm
http://www.algeria-press.com/el-massa.htm
[url=http://www.algeria-press.com/ech-chaab.htm]…

Algerian Vote

Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:39 pm by Lily

Algerians are voting in a presidential election which opposition groups have described as a charade.

English Idioms _45646939_007133175-1

American English

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:00 pm by Maria

Going to is pronounced GONNA when it is used to show the future. But it is never reduced when it means going from one place to another.

We're going to grab a bite to eat. = We're gonna grab a bite to eat.
I'm going to the office tonight. = I'm going to the office tonight.

2. Want to and want a are both pronounced WANNA and wants to is pronounced WANSTA. Do you want to can also be reduced …

American Slangs

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:54 pm by Maria

airhead: stupid person.
"Believe it or not, Dave can sometimes act like an airhead!"

amigo: friend (from Spanish).
"I met many amigos at Dave's ESL Cafe."

ammunition: toilet paper.
"Help! We're completely out of ammunition!"

antifreeze: alcohol.
"I'm going to need a lot of antifreeze tonight!"

armpit: dirty, unappealing place.

An Introduction to the British Civilization

Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:54 am by Maria

University of Batna First Year
English Department G: 6-7-8-9
General Culture

[center]An Introduction to the British Civilization

*The United Kingdom :

Full Name : The UK's full and official name is the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Location: The United Kingdom (UK) of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a country …

Announcements and News

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:55 am by Lily

English Idioms QuizPromo-12
"Dear students , we would like to inform you that , from now on , your marks can be consulted through your Website ...Let's surf ! bounce bounce Wink

Applying for Research Study in the Department of English

Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:32 pm by Lily

Applying for Research Study in the Department of English

The process of applying for a research studentship begins with the identification of a potential supervisor. If you already know a staffmember who is willing to work with you to develop a research proposal,please start by contacting them. If you do not have a supervisor inmind already, …

2 posters

English Idioms

Lily
    Lily
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 776
    Job/hobbies : University Teacher / Phd Student /Fitness Coach
    Humor : Optimist
    Registration date : 2009-03-03

English Idioms Empty Sports Idioms

Post by Lily Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Idiom
    sport of origin
    MeaningExample Sentence
    across the board
    cards
    equal for everyoneTen percent raises were given across the board.
    at this stage in the game
    any sport
    at this timeNobody knows who is going to win the election at this stage in the game.
    the ball is in your court
    tennis
    it's your decision or responsibility to do something now"Do you think I should accept the job offer?"
    "Don't ask me. The ball is in your court now".
    bark up the wrong tree
    hunting
    you've got the wrong person or ideaI think you're barking up the wrong tree by blaming Matt for the missing money.
    blind-sided
    any sport
    to not see something comingGeorge blind-sided Eric with his fist at the bar.
    blow the competition away
    any sport
    win easilyIf you wear that dress to the beauty pageant you are going to blow the competition away.
    call the shots
    billiards
    make the decisionsWhile our boss is on vacation, Bob will call the shots.
    chip in
    gambling
    help by donating money or timeThe staff members chipped in 5 dollars each to buy Jody a birthday gift.
    down to the wire
    horse racing
    right at the endIt's coming down to the wire to get these done on time.
    front runner
    track
    one of the people who is expected to winAngela is a front runner for the new supervisor position.
    get a head start
    horse racing
    start before all othersThey gave the walkers a head start in the run for cancer.
    get into the full swing
    tennis
    be comfortable doing something after some timeIt will probably take a month of working at my new job before I get into the full swing of things.
    get off the hook
    fishing
    escape, have responsibility removedThe child got off the hook for stealing because the security camera was broken.
    give something or someone a fair shake
    gambling
    try for a while before giving upYou should give Nadine a fair shake before you decide she isn't good enough for the job.
    get a second wind
    sailing
    have a burst of energy after tiringI was exhausted after 3 kilometres of running, but I got a second wind after I passed the beach.
    give it your best shot
    hunting
    try your hardestGive it your best shot and you may just make it to the finals.
    give one a run for one's money
    horseracing
    try one's hardest to defeat another personI know the other team is expected to win, but let's give them a run for their money tonight.
    go overboard
    sailing
    do or say more than you need toYou can't believe everything Janice says about Rick. She tends to go overboard when she's complaining about him.
    go to bat for someone
    baseball
    defend someoneAndy is asking for a salary increase, and I'm going to go to bat for him if the boss says no.
    have the upper hand
    cards
    have a better chance of winning or succeedingThe Blues have the upper hand in the tournament, because none of their players is injured.
    hit below the belt
    martial arts
    do or say something that is very unfair or cruelAmanda was hitting below the belt when she called Adrian an unfit father.
    hit a snag
    boating
    come up against a problemThe renovations were going along great until we hit a snag with the carpet installation.
    hold all the aces
    cards
    expected to win or succeedThe children hold all the aces when it comes to the father-son baseball tournament.
    the home stretch
    baseball
    almost the endI think Alice's pregnancy is in the home stretch.
    hot shot (big shot)
    hunting
    a person who thinks they are the bestEven though Luke only placed 20th in the ski race, he thinks he's a hot shot.
    jump the gun
    track
    start too earlyI guess I jumped the gun by buying Pam and Steve a wedding gift. They called off the engagement.
    keep one's head above water
    swimming
    try not to fall behind in work or other dutiesWe are so busy during the tourist season I can barely keep my head above water.
    learn the ropes
    sailing
    understand new thingsThe first week on the job you will just be learning the ropes.
    let her rip
    boating
    go ahead nowOkay, here are the keys to your new car. Let her rip!
    level playing field
    any field sport
    everyone has an equal chanceThe spelling bee is a level playing field because all of the kids are in grade nine.
    long shot
    hunting
    a very difficult thing to accomplishJim thinks we can afford the house, but I think it's a long shot.
    make the cut
    any sport
    be chosen to be part of a team or groupI didn't get a second interview, so I'm pretty sure I won't make the cut.
    neck and neck
    horse racing
    to be in a close tie with someoneGeorge and Stan are neck and neck in the hockey pool. Either of them could win the money.
    no sweat
    any sport
    no problemI told Lily it was no sweat for us to babysit next weekend.
    not playing with a full deck of cards
    cards
    not having full brain capacityI think Jerry was still drunk at work on Sunday because he wasn't playing with a full deck of cards.
    not up to par
    golf
    not good enough for a job or positionI'm afraid your resume isn't up to par for the engineering position.
    to be off base
    baseball
    not making a fair or true remarkYou were way off base when you said Bill needed to lose weight.
    on target
    darts
    doing the right thing to succeedWe are on target to meet our budget this month.
    on the ball
    baseball
    ready and ableThe new receptionist is really on the ball when it comes to answering the phone.
    out in left field
    baseball
    nowhere near being true, nowhere near doing something correctlyAll of the students laughed when Joe gave an answer that was out in left field.
    out of someone's league
    team sport
    not as good as someoneI'd like to date Maria, but I'm afraid I'm out of her league.
    par for the course
    golf
    an expected circumstanceWaiting in line is par for the course at Christmas time.
    plenty of other fish in the sea
    fishing
    there are many other men and women to dateI know you still love Jack, but remember there are plenty of other fish in the sea.
    race against time
    track
    there is almost no time left to accomplish somethingIt's a race against time to find a kidney donor for my cousin.
    settle a score with someone
    any sport
    get even with a person after a previous battleMy brother wants to settle the score with that guy who stole my wallet.
    shot in the dark
    hunting
    a guessI was lucky to win the quiz. All my answers were shots in the dark.
    skate on thin ice
    skating
    do something risky, take a chanceYou're skating on thin ice by not sending in your college application before now.
    start the ball rolling
    ball sports
    begin somethingPlease can everyone be seated so we can start the ball rolling.
    step up to the plate
    baseball
    do the honourable thing, take responsibilityIt's time you stepped up to the plate and apologized for your mistake.
    take a rain check
    baseball
    accept at a later timeSorry, I can't go to the movies today, but I'd love to take a rain check.
    take sides
    any sport
    choose a person or group to supportI hate to take sides, but I think Jerry is right about the paint colour.
    take the bull by the horns
    bull fighting
    accept the challenge and try your hardestEven though this new job will mean relocating, I think you should take the bull by the horns for once.
    take the wind out of one's sails
    sailing
    make someone feel deflatedI think I took the wind out of Angela's sails when I told her she was a terrible singer.
    throw in the towel
    boxing
    give upIf they don't accept our offer this time we are going to throw in the towel and look at houses elsewhere.
    time out
    any sport
    breakLet's take some time out and grab a coffee.
    three strikes and you're out
    baseball
    you only get three chancesThe school's no smoking policy is three strikes and you're out.
    two strikes against
    baseball
    you only have one chance remainingNancy is going to be fired in no time. She already has two strikes against her for coming in late.
    under the table
    gambling
    illegallyI don't have a work visa, so they have to pay me under the table.
    win hands down
    gambling
    easy victoryThe other team was missing half of its players. We won hands down.
    Lily
    Lily
    Admin

Female

English Idioms Empty Body Idioms

Post by Lily Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:47 pm

Body Idioms

IdiomMeaningExample Sentence
    all earsfully listeningGive me a minute to finish my work and then I'll be all ears to hear about your project.
    break a leggood-luckToday's the big game, eh? Break a leg!
    cold feetnervous just before a big eventMy sister didn't get cold feet until she put her wedding gown on.
    cost an arm and a legbe very expensiveThese cakes are delicious, but they cost an arm and a leg.
    cry your heart outcry very hardI cried my heart out when my best friend moved away.
    face the musicmeet, stand up to unpleasant conseqences, for example criticism or punishmentI stayed out all night. When I eventually got home I had to face the music from my wife.
    (my) flesh and bloodrelativeI have to hire Mia. She's my own flesh and blood.
    get something off one's chesttell someone your problemsThanks for listening to me complain about my boss. I just needed to get this off my chest.
    give a hand, lend a handhelp (someone) do somethingI can give you a hand when you move if you like.
    have one's head in the cloudsbe unaware or unrealistic about somethingAmy has her head in the clouds if she thinks she's going to pass her exams without studying.
    head over heelsdeeply in loveMy brother is head over heels for his new girlfriend.
    head startan earlier startThe kids gave Anthony a head start in the bicycle race because he was the youngest.
    in over one's headtaking on a task that you can't handleI was in over my head when I agreed to babysit the triplets and the dogs.
    keep an eye ontake care of, watch in order to protectI'll keep an eye on the dinner while you're on the phone.
    keep one's chin uptry to be cheerfulKeep your chin up. I'm sure you'll make some friends soon.
    learn by heart, know by heartmemorizeI learned my multiplication tables by heart in the fourth grade.
    let one's hair downrelax, have funGo to the cottage and let your hair down this weekend.
    (my) lips are sealedpromise to keep a secretDon't worry, I won't tell your mother how much you spent. My lips are sealed.
    makes my blood boilmakes me very angryIt makes my blood boil when people don't tie up their dogs.
    neck of the woodsnearby location or regionI heard that they might be opening a post office in our neck of the woods soon.
    (an) old handan experienced personMy uncle's an old hand at car repair. He'll know what the problem is.
    over my dead bodynot unless I'm dead and can't stop youMy daughter wants a tatoo. I told her she'd get one over my dead body.
    pat on the backrecognition or a thank-youThe party organizers deserve a pat on the back for a job well done.
    play something by eardo something without a planWe don't know if the weather will be good enough for camping. We'll have to play it by ear.
    pull one's legjoke or tease someoneI was just pulling your leg. I'm not really a police officer.
    rule of thumbbasic rule (not always followed)The rule of thumb is that the students wear black pants and white shirts.
    see eye to eyeagreeThe couple don't see eye to eye on how to train their pets.
    (by the) skin of one's teethjust barelyI passed my exam by the skin of my teeth.
    stick your neck outhelp someone a lot, with possible bad consequences for oneselfI stuck my neck out for Bessie when she was thrown out of her house.
    sweet tootha love of sugar or sweet thingsI need three spoonfuls of sugar in my tea. I have a sweet tooth.
    thick in the headnot very intelligentI'm a bit thick in the head when it comes to reading a map.
    wash one's hands of somethingstop dealing with an issue or problemI'm washing my hands of Mary's addiction. She is going to have to get some professional help.
    Lily
    Lily
    Admin

Female

English Idioms Empty Geography and Weather Idioms

Post by Lily Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:44 pm

Geography and Weather Idioms

(on) cloud nineextremely happyAndrea was on cloud nine when she bought her new car.
    dig deeplook hard for informationI had to dig deep to find my old report cards.
    dirt cheapvery inexpensiveThe clothes at the thrift shop are dirt cheap.
    down to earthnatural or real (personality)Lucile is really down to earth for a woman with so much money.
    fair-weather frienda person who is only a friend in good timesI can't talk to Nancy about my boyfriend problems. She's only a fair-weather friend.
    a field daya very enjoyable timeThe kids had a field day at the water slide park.
    go downhillget progressively worseMy grades started going downhill when I got a part-time job.
    go with the flowcontinue in the same way as othersNobody trained me at work. I just went with the flow.
    hit the haygo to sleepI'm exhausted. I think I'll hit the hay early tonight.
    hit the roadleaveIt's getting late. We had better hit the road.
    keep one's head above waterhave just enough money to liveIt's hard to keep my head above water with all of these medical bills.
    know which way the wind blowsknow how things will turn outWho knows which way the wind will blow? I just hope Jesse gets one of the jobs he's applied for.
    make a mountain out of a molehillmake a small problem seem bigThe car only got a tiny dent. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
    out of the woodsclear of dangerThe doctor said my heart is doing better, but I'm not out of the woods yet.
    over the hillpast middle ageI knew I was over the hill when I started needing glasses to read.
    rain on someone else's paraderuin somebody else's happinessWhenever I had a dance recital, my older brother always rained on my parade.
    stick-in-the-muda loner or person who won't join inThey didn't bother inviting Charles to the party because he's alway a stick-in-the-mud.
    (as) quick as lightningvery fastWow! Your shower was as quick as lightning.
    the tip of the iceberga small part of a large problemThe lost tickets were just the tip of the iceberg.
    take a raincheckaccept at a later dateI'd love to go out for dinner, but can I take a raincheck?
    under the weatherillI was feeling under the weather so I went back to bed.
    up the creekin troubleIf my Dad finds out I had a party I'll be up the creek.
    win by a landslidewin by a lot of pointsThe skiier in the green coat won by a landslide.
    (get) wind of somethingoverhear something about someone or something (often gossip)My Dad has a new girlfriend. I got wind of it over dinner tonight.
    Lily
    Lily
    Admin

Female

English Idioms Empty Animal Idioms

Post by Lily Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:41 pm

Animal Idioms

ants in one's pantsunable to sit still or remain calm out of nervousness or excitementLisa had ants in her pants the day before her interview.
    (the) birds and the beessex educationI learned about the birds and the bees when my baby brother was born.
    cat napa short sleepI'm going to have a cat nap while you're cooking dinner.
    cat's got one's tonguesaid about someone who doesn't speak (usually due to shyness)It looks like the cat's got your tongue, Lucy. Are you always this quiet?
    chicken outto decide not to do something out of fear (usually just before)I was going to take a ride on Geoff's motorcyle, but I chickened out when he gave me a helmet to wear.
    clam upbecome quiet suddenlyArthur clammed up when I asked him about his family.
    copy cata person who does the same thing as someone elseMy sister is such a copy cat. First she bought the same car as me, and now she's applying to my school.
    dog daysvery hot daysI sleep in the basement during the dog days of August.
    dropping like fliesdying/giving up quicklyMy roses are dropping like flies in this early frost.
    eager beavera person who is excited about doing certain workEver since he got his new drill set my husband has been an eager beaver around the house.
    fishyodd, suspiciousI knew something fishy was going on when I saw all of my friends' cars in my mom's driveway.
    have a cowget extremely upset (often over something minor)My teacher had a cow when she realized nobody had done the homework.
    hold your horseswait and be patientHold your horses! I'll be done in the washroom in a minute.
    holy cow!Wow, I'm surprised!Holy cow! I can't believe you ate everything on your plate.
    horse aroundplay roughlyIf you're going to horse around, please go outside.
    get the lion's shareget the greatest percentageMy aunt got the lion's share of the inheritance.
    in the dog housein trouble with another personI don't think Marsha is coming out tonight. She's still in the dog house for forgetting Aaron's birthday.
    kill two birds with one stoneget two things done at onceIf you pick the groceries up when you drop George off for his shift, you will kill two birds with one stone.
    kitty cornerdiagonal directionThe gas station is kitty corner to the library.
    let the cat out of the bagreveal a secretWho let the cat out of the bag about the surprise party?
    (a) little bird told meI heard something (usually secretive or unknown) from someone (not named)A little bird told me that you are thinking of quitting your job.
    make a beelinego straight for somethingMy grandma made a beeline for the smoking room as soon as she got off the airplane.
    monkey see, monkey dosilly/unintelligent people tend to copy each other's actionsOur one-year-old is saying bad words now. I told my husband, "Monkey see, monkey do!"
    nest eggmoney saved for the futureWe have a nest egg that we might have to use if Jim goes on sick leave.
    pig outeat a lot of somethingI pigged out on pancakes so I don't have room for lunch.
    raining cats and dogsraining heavilyI forgot my umbrella, and it was raining cats and dogs.
    rat racefierce, competitive struggle for power, position etcI'm ready to leave this rat race and retire in Mexico.
    smell a ratbegin to suspect trickery etcI asked my brothers not to tell my parents that I went out, but I could smell a rat as soon as I opened the door.
    straight from the horse's mouthdirectly from the original sourceI know Jenny is pregnant, because I heard it straight from the horse's mouth.
    take the bull by the hornsface a challenge or danger boldlyIf you really think you deserve a promotion, you'll have to take the bull by the horns.
    until the cows come homefor a very long timeI could eat pizza and ice-cream until the cows come home.
    Lily
    Lily
    Admin

Female

English Idioms Empty Food Idioms

Post by Lily Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:40 pm

Food Idioms

apple of one's eyea person that is adored by someoneBaby Jessica is the apple of her father's eye.
    (have a) bun in the ovenbe pregnantI don't think Jan will come to the bar because she has a bun in the oven.
    bad egga person who is often in troubleI don't want my little brother hanging around with the bad eggs on the street.
    big cheesevery important person (VIP)I thought I was just going to interview the secretary, but they let me talk to the big cheese himself.
    bread and butternecessities, the main thingJust explain the bread and butter of your report. You don't have to go into details.
    bring home the baconearn the incomeMy husband has had to bring home the bacon ever since I broke my leg.
    (score) brownie pointsthings done or said that make someone else like you betterI scored brownie points with my teacher by bringing her a cup of coffee.
    butter someone upbe extra nice to someone (usually for selfish reasons)We'll have to butter Angie up before we tell her the news about the broken vase.
    (have one's) cake and eat it toowant more than your fair share or needRick wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wants to be single but he doesn't want me to date anyone else.
    carrot topperson with red or orange hairSimon is the first carrot top I've ever gone out with.
    cheesysillyI love reading cheesy romance novels because I don't have to think.
    cool as a cucumbervery relaxedI thought I was afraid of flying, but I was cool as a cucumber all the way to England.
    cream of the cropthe bestWe hired the cream of the crop to entertain us at the Christmas party.
    (don't) cry over spilled milkget upset over something that has happened and cannot be changedThe mirror is broken and we can't fix it. There's no need to cry over spilled milk.
    cup of joecup of coffeeLet's stop for a cup of joe before we head to work.
    (not my) cup of teasomething you enjoy (usually used negatively)Opera isn't exactly my cup of tea.
    egg someone onurge someone to do somethingThe gang tried to egg us on but we didn't want to fight.
    freeze one's buns offbe very coldI froze my buns off at the ice rink.
    full of beanshave a lot of (silly) energyThe kids were full of beans after the circus.
    gravy trainextremely good pay for minimal workThe unionized grocers have been enjoying the gravy train for twenty years.
    (have something) handed to someone on a silver platterreceive without working for somethingThe professor's daughter had her college diploma handed to her on a silver platter.
    hard nut to crackdifficult to understand (often a person)Angelo is a hard nut to crack when something is bothering him like this.
    hot potatoa controversial or difficult subjectChoosing a location for our new store is a hot potato right now.
    in a nutshellsimplyIn a nutshell, I'm having a bad day.
    nuts about something, someonelike a lotI'm nuts about classical music these days.
    out to lunchcrazy or madHarry has been out to lunch ever since he lost his job.
    one smart cookiea very intelligent personYour daughter is one smart cookie. She reads much higher than her grade level.
    peach fuzzsmall amount of hair growthExcept for a bit of peach fuzz, the baby came out bald.
    piece of cakevery easyThe exam was a piece of cake.
    put all of ones eggs in one basketrely on one single thingEven though I'm majoring in Art, I'm taking a maths course because my Dad says I shouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket.
    souped upmade more powerful or stylishThe car was souped up with shiny rims and a loud stereo.
    sell like hot cakesbought by many peopleThe new Harry Potter books sold like hot cakes.
    spice things upmake something more excitingI wanted to spice things up in the office, so I bought some red and gold paint.
    spill the beansreveal the truthOn Monday, I'm going to spill the beans about my travel plans.
    take something with a pinch (grain) of saltdon't consider something 100% accurateTake Mandy's advice with a pinch of salt. She doesn't always do her research.
    use your noodleuse your brainYou're going to have to really use your noodle on this crossword puzzle. It's an extra difficult one.
    Lily
    Lily
    Admin

Female

English Idioms Empty Colour Idioms

Post by Lily Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:37 pm

Colour Idioms

Quiz
    beet reddark red (usually to describe face)My sister's face turned beet red when I caught her singing in front of a mirror.
    black and bluebruised and beatenWe found the poor guy black and blue near the train tracks.
    black and whitestraight forward, very clearThe rules we gave the kids were black and white. No answering the phone or the door.
    black outfaintI always black out at the sight of blood.
    black sheepthe odd or bad member of the groupMy oldest brother was the black sheep in our family. He dropped out of school at fifteen.
    born with a silver spoon in one's mouthborn into a rich familyKeiko hasn't worked a day in her life. She was born with a silver spoon in her mouth.
    catch red handedcatch someone in the act of doing something wrong or illegalThe kids were caught red handed stealing chocolate bars.
    golden opportunitythe perfect chanceThe models' conference was a golden opportunity for me to sell my beauty products.
    grass is always greener on the other sideyou always want what you don't haveI always wanted to go to university, but now I wish I had time to get a job. Grass is always greener on the other side.
    grey area, gray areasomething without a clear rule or answerWriting personal email in the office is a grey area that needs to be discussed at the next meeting.
    the green lightpermissionThe builders were given the green light to begin the tower.
    green with envyvery jealousI am green with envy over Julio's new wardrobe.
    (have a) green thumbbe skillful in the gardenYou can tell by her flower garden that Sheila has a green thumb.
    have the bluesbe sad or depressedI always have the the blues during the winter time.
    in the darkunawareAntoine left his wife in the dark about their honeymoon destination until they got to the airport.
    in the redin debtWhen we were in the red we almost had to sell the house.
    once in a blue moonvery rarelyWe only go out for dinner once in a blue moon.
    out of the blueunexpectedlyI got a phone call from a long lost cousin out of the blue last week.
    red tapeofficial or bureaucratic tasksThere is still some red tape to deal with in terms of the inheritance.
    red eyean airplane flight that takes off after midnightI caught the red eye so that I would see the sunrise over the mountains.
    roll out the red carpettreat someone like royaltyWhen relatives come to town my grandmother rolls out the red carpet.
    rose coloured glassesunrealistic viewPaula imagines Hollywood with rose coloured glasses.
    see redbe very angryI saw red when that guy grabbed my sister's purse.
    tickled pinkvery pleased and appreciativeMy mom was tickled pink when my father brought roses home for her.
    true coloursreal selfSuzanne doesn't show her true colours when we have guests over.
    white liean innocent lie to protect another person's feelingsWe told Grandma that her cake was delicious, which was actually a white lie.
    with flying colourswith distinctionI passed my road test with flying colours.
    Lily
    Lily
    Admin

Female

English Idioms Empty British English Idioms

Post by Lily Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:30 pm

a piece of cakeEnglish Idioms British-English
    If you say that something is a piece of cake, you mean that it is extremely easy.
    another string to your bowEnglish Idioms British-English
    If you have another string to your bow, you have another way of making a living.
    eat humble pieEnglish Idioms British-English
    If you eat humble pie, you admit that you are in the wrong and behave apologetically.
    a new lease of lifeEnglish Idioms British-English
    If someone has a new lease of life, they have a new enthusiasm for living.
    can't see the wood for the treesEnglish Idioms British-English
    If you can't see the wood for the trees,you can't see the whole situation clearly because you're looking too closely at small details, or because you're too closely involved.
    a drop in the oceanEnglish Idioms British-English
    If an amount is a drop in the ocean, it's a very small portion of the amount that's needed.
    jobs for the boysEnglish Idioms British-English

If you say "jobs for the boys" you're referring to the fact that people in positions of power sometimes use their power to give jobs to their friends or family members.
    a zebra crossingEnglish Idioms British-English
    A zebra crossing is a pedestrian crossing that is marked on the road with painted black and white stripes.
    come up trumpsEnglish Idioms British-English
    If you come up trumps, you succeed in something that you may not have been expected to succeed in.
    itchy feetEnglish Idioms British-EnglishInformal
    If you have itchy feet, you feel the need to go somewhere different or do something different.
    just the ticketEnglish Idioms British-English
    You can say something is just the ticket if it's the perfect thing or if it's exactly what's needed.
    off your own batEnglish Idioms British-English
    If you do something off your own bat, you do it without being asked to or told to.
    at a loose endEnglish Idioms British-English
    If you're at a loose end, you have nothing to do.
    come a cropperEnglish Idioms British-EnglishInformal
    If you come a cropper, you fall over, or you make a mistake which has serious consequences for you.
    go down a treatEnglish Idioms British-English
    If something goes down a treat, it's a great success and everyone enjoys it.
    take the mickey | mick out of someoneEnglish Idioms British-EnglishInformal
    If you're taking the mickey out of someone, or taking the mick out of them, you're making fun of them or copying their behaviour for a laugh.
    an axe to grind (2)English Idioms British-English
    If you have an axe to grind, you have a strong opinion about something and you express this opinion whenever you can.
    make a song and dance about somethingEnglish Idioms British-English
    If you make a song and dance about something, you make a big deal out of, or a fuss over, something that isn't very important.
    right up your streetEnglish Idioms British-English
    If something is right up your street, it would be perfect for you or ideal for your skills and interests.
    um and ahEnglish Idioms British-English
    If you "um and ah" you're having trouble deciding what to say, or you're having trouble telling somebody something.
    Lily
    Lily
    Admin

Female

English Idioms Empty Idioms and idiomatic expressions in English

Post by Lily Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:53 pm

English Idioms Idioms
    English Idioms
    Idioms and idiomatic expressions in English
    An idiom is a group of words in current usage having a meaning that is not deducible from those of the individual words. For example, "to rain cats and dogs" - which means "to rain very heavily" - is an idiom; and "over the moon" - which means "extremely happy" - is another idiom. In both cases, you would have a hard time understanding the real meaning if you did not already know these idioms!
    A(26)B(26)C(27)D(25)E(25)F(27)G(26)H(25)I(25)J(25)K(25)L(25)M(27)N(25)O(25)P(27)Q(16)R(26)S(26)T(25)U(25)V(17)W(26)X(2)Y(1)Z(5)
    Animals(20)Body(90)Buildings(10)Clothing(20)Colours(20)Death(10)Food(30)Health(20)Law(20)Money(30)Music(10)Nature(20)Numbers(20)Plants(10)Sports(20)Structures(10)Time(20)Transport(10)Weather(10)American(23)Australian(1)
    British(20)Quizzes(480)
    Idioms Quizzes: Have fun and test your knowledge of English Idioms by doing some of our 480 English Idioms Quiz Questions
    Idioms Forum: Ask questions about and discuss English idioms and sayings

There are two features that identify an idiom: firstly, we cannot deduce the meaning of the idiom from the individual words; and secondly, both the grammar and the vocabulary of the idiom are fixed, and if we change them we lose the meaning of the idiom. Thus the idiom "pull your socks up" means "improve the way you are behaving" (or it can have a literal meaning); if we change it grammatically to "pull your sock up" or we change its vocabulary to "pull your stockings up", then we must interpret the phrase literally - it has lost its idiomatic meaning.
    How should one index an idioms reference? Do we list the idiom "kick the bucket" under K for "kick" or B for "bucket"? Given that Internet users have the option of searching for individual words with the search function, the approach we have taken is to list all idioms in strict alphabetical order, omitting the indefinite and definite articles (a,an, the) and some pronouns if they occur at the beginning of the idiom.Thus, for example, the idiom "kick the bucket" is indexed under K,while the idiom "a ballpark figure" is indexed under B.
    Many idioms originated as quotations from well-known writers such as Shakespeare. For example, "at one fell swoop" comes from Macbeth and "cold comfort" from King John. Sometimes such idioms today have a meaning that has been altered from the original quotation.
    Some idioms are typically used in one version of English rather than another. For example, the idiom "yellow journalism" originated and is used in American English. Other idioms may be used in a slightly different form in different varieties of English. Thus the idiom "a drop in the ocean" in British and Australian English becomes "a drop in the bucket" in American English. However, in general, globalization and the effects of film, television and the Internet mean that there is less and less distinction between idioms of different varieties of English. In this reference we have tagged an idiom with one variety of English or another only when the idiom really is restricted to a particular variety of English or to indicate that the idiom originated in that particular variety of English.
    Quick searches:
    Formal English idioms
    Informal English idioms
    American English idioms
    British English idioms
    Find more English Idioms and Idiom Quizzes.
    English Idioms Speak-english

Maria
    Maria

Female
    Number of posts : 29
    Job/hobbies : Teacher/ Aesthetician
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

English Idioms Empty English Idioms

Post by Maria Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:16 pm

Face the music:If you have to face the music, you have to accept the unpleasant consequences of your actions.
    "He was caught stealing. Now he has to face the music!"
    Face like thunder: If someone has a face like thunder, they look very angry.
    "When Dad is really angry, he has a face like thunder!"
    Face value:If you take something at its face value, you assume that it is genuinely what it appears to be.
    "The car seems to be in good condition, but don't take it at its face value; get a mechanic to check it out."
    Blow up in someone's face:When working on a plan or project, if it suddenly goes wrong or fails, it blows up in your face.
    "The trip was difficult to organize, but it blew up in his face when the airline company went on strike."
    Keep a straight face:If you keep a straight face, you look serious although you really want to laugh.
    Put on a brave face:When confronted with difficulties, if you put on a brave face, you try to look cheerful and pretend that the situation is not as bad as it is. "Even at the worst of times she put on a brave face."
    Two-faced:Someone who is two-faced is deceitful or insincere; they will say one thing to your face and another when you're not there.
    "I don't trust Jack. I find him two-faced."

Sponsored content

English Idioms Empty Re: English Idioms

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:59 pm